Old Church in Weaubleau Missouri

Weaubleau Congregational Christian Church


In 1867, just after the Civil War, John Whitaker, a young and enthusiastic pastor of a small Christian group, proposed the building of a two story brick house to be used by the church for religious and educational purposes. After much delay and sacrifice, a house was built; it being 26 x 40 feet and two stories high, the first story being used for a chapel and the second for an academy.

            When the walls were nearly finished, the second story was blown down in a wind storm, causing quite a hitch in the re-building of the school. The corner stone was finally laid in July, 1869 and by October, 1871 a school was started by the same pastor with six students. Such was the beginning of the old Christian Institute and College at Weaubleau, Missouri.

            For several years, the old Christian Institute, sometimes called to “Old Brick,” struggled for existence. Yet for twenty years the school honored God and benefited man. More and more students found their way to the halls of this great school, and after twenty years, a new commodious ten room structure was finished and ready for occupancy by the fall term of 1893. It was just four hundred yards northwest of the Old Brick and away from the business center.

           Before the college was finished, the town began to grow and expand, but only gradually until the Kansas City, Osceola, and Southern Railroad, later called “Frisco,” came in August, 1898. This put new life and brought new people into the town. The “Iron Horse” with its magic speed came and went with its cargoes of mail, passengers and merchandise twice daily. Thirty years had passed since the doors of the school were thrown open to the youth of the country. Another was to supercede the one which founded the school, yet the school survived and prospered. Continue reading on link below:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *